Knee Replacement Surgery Cost
When is a Knee Replacement Recommended?
A total knee replacement surgery procedure is most commonly recommended to patients who suffer from the degenerative arthritic condition known as Osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is, normally, an age related condition in which the protein in the cartilage of the joints begins to break down. This breakdown of cartilage, which cushions the joints, can lead to inflammation of the cartilage and friction between the joints. The bone surfaces become less smooth and the range of motion is limited..
What happens during the knee replacement surgery?
You will likely receive a general anesthesia. An incision is made to expose the joint. The doctor will remove a portion of the lower thigh bone and replace it with a metal cap or shell. The upper portion of the tibia (your lower leg), and sometimes the patella (kneecap), are also removed and usually replaced with a piece of channeled plastic with a metal tray. The patella may be replaced with a plastic “patellar component.” The designs of knee replacement components vary and should be discussed with your surgeon.
Are there other options than a complete knee replacement surgery?
Minimally invasive knee replacements are also available in Mexico (or India) for some patients depending on the condition of the joint and the opinions of the involved doctors. We have many other accredited hospital destinations for minimally or partial knee replacement surgery, but India offers the most cost savings!
You may be wondering if this kind of knee surgery is right for you. Here are three things that will tell you if you could be a candidate for this kind of surgery::
1) Osteoarthritis of the knee with bone rubbing on bone
2) You still suffer from severe pain in spite of medical management
3) You understand the process and procedure of the surgery
Is it really cheaper to have knee replacement surgery abroad in India or Mexico?
Particularly for U.S. residents, the savings can be enormous. Especially when you take the fees and room cost involved with medical treatment out of the picture. The cost of a knee replacement surgery in the U.S. is about $45,000 in the U.S. but in India, for example, the cost is only $7,000. In Mexico, the savings are above 50% off U.S. cost.
Is it safe to have knee surgery abroad in India or Mexico?
If you are concerned about the thought of being treated abroad, you needn’t be worried.
Here’s the truth about the hospitals in India and Mexico we work with.
• They are internationally accredited by the JCI* and top rated
• The doctors are board certified, meaning they have had to pass rigorous examinations and extensive training.
• The equipment, prosthetics & technology used are of the highest standards and top quality. They are the same or better than you would get in your local hospital.
• The hospital and clinic medical staff and doctors offer first rate quality personal care and attention that will far exceed your expectations.
• Compared to what you will pay for the surgery locally, it is significantly less expensive
* The JCI is an international accrediting body for medical facilities that has been approved by the International Society for Quality in Health Care. It also works in conjunction with the World Health Organization on issues of patient safety.
Where can I have a knee replacement surgery performed?
• India and Mexico are hotspots for both minimally invasive and knee replacement surgery at a significant cost reduction to the cost or price you’d find in the U.S. or the U.K. At least one hospital in India offers specialized knee replacements, such as the high flexion knee replacement, the Oxford knee, and gender-specific knee replacements, partial knee replacement surgery.
• In some cases, a bilateral knee replacement surgery can be done so you won’t have to make two visits to India. Surgeons in both Mexico and India are often board certified in Orthopedics and have done hundreds of minimally invasive knee replacement procedures in the past. Choose a hospital that is accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI) and you’ll find a high quality hospital.
• A partial knee replacement procedure can be performed closer to home for those in the U.S. or Canada at a private hospital in Tijuana, Mexico. This carries the advantage of not having to go far from home to have the procedure, which is far less costly than a similar procedure done in the U.S. Patients can stay at the hospital and at five star hotels close by.
• For more exotic locations, you could travel to Singapore, Costa Rica or Thailand for your total or partial knee replacement surgery. The hospitals are clean and contain board certified specialists in orthopedics.
Ok, you may think, it sounds good, but I don’t have the kind of time you need to get all the arrangements made for something like this.
We’ll take care of all of the details. As we understand more about you and your situation, we will send you a custom plan or package about the doctors, hospitals, your procedure and costs. You'll be able to speak with your overseas doctors and staff that will be caring for you during your stay.
Everything will be arranged for you before you leave, including flights, passport, visa and hotel accommodation. You will be met at the airport by one of our English-speaking personal representatives. You will also be able to talk with us or ask any questions at any time you need to and we'll stay in touch throughout your procedure abroad and even after you return to your home.
If you are considering having knee replacement surgery in India or Mexico, we'll be glad to provide you with a free cost quote. All you need to do is click below.