Hip Replacement Surgery Cost
When Is a Total Hip Replacement Surgery Recommended?
A total hip replacement procedure is most commonly recommended to patients who suffer from the degenerative joint condition Osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is, usually, an age related condition in which the cartilage begins to break down in the joints. This breakdown of cartilage, which cushions the joints, can lead to both inflammation of the cartilage and friction between the joints. The surfaces of the bones become less smooth and the range of motion is limited.
What happens during the total hip replacement surgery abroad?
You will receive anesthesia of some kind. A general anesthesia is the most common form used; though, there are spinal and epidural forms that can also be employed. An incision of around 5-10 inches is made. The muscles over the hip are moved aside to expose the hip bone. The doctor will remove a portion of the upper thigh bone, the ball portion of the bone that fits into the hip, and replace it with an artificial ball (typically metal). Any remaining cartilage and some portions of the hip bone socket will be removed and replaced with an artificial socket (typically plastic). This surgery can normally be completed in a few hours.
Are there other options than a complete hip replacement surgery?
Doctors can perform "hip resurfacing surgery," and minimally invasive hip replacement surgery. It’s a procedure just recently approved by the U.S. FDA but approved in many countries overseas such as India and Mexico. In such a procedure the hip joint is resurfaced and the arthritic parts of the hip are removed, resulting in a smoother hip joint without having to replace the joint itself. The cost for “hip resurfacing” is only about $5,500 in destinations abroad like India or Mexico and the recovery time is easier than with a total hip surgery.
Patients can be candidates for minimally invasive hip resurfacing surgery, if they have non-inflammatory degenerative hip disease that causes significant pain, rheumatoid arthritis, a functional deformity of the hip, a femoral neck fracture, a trochanteric fracture of the proximal femur with head involvement, considerable hip pain and have no infection in the bone.
You may be wondering if this kind of surgery is right for you. Here are three things that will tell you if you could be a candidate for this kind of surgery:
1) You are suffering from Osteoarthritis
2) You still suffer from chronic pain in your hip despite anti-inflammatory medications
3) You understand the process and procedure of the surgery
Is it really cheaper to have surgery abroad in India or Mexico?
The cost for a total hip replacement in the U.S. is $4,000-$6,000 for the surgery itself. When you add in the various hospital charges the final cost is over $20,000 and can run as high as $40,000.
If you’re fortunate enough to be a resident of Canada or the United Kingdom, money is not a problem, but waiting time can be a problem. While your surgery may cost you nothing, you can find yourself on a long waiting list. You could wait for months to get a hip replacement surgery.
If you go overseas to hotspot destinations like Mexico or India to have your total hip replacement surgery, the cost savings are usually above 50% less. Your waiting time is cut enormously. You also have the chance to visit beautiful countries with friendly people and ancient cultures.
Is it safe to have surgery abroad in India or Mexico?
If you are concerned about the thought of being treated abroad, you needn’t be worried.
Here’s the truth about the hospitals in India and Mexico we work with:
• They are internationally accredited by the JCI* and top rated
• The doctors are board certified, meaning they have had to pass rigorous examinations and extensive training.
• The equipment, prosthetics & technology used are of the highest standards and top quality. They are the same or better than you would get in your local hospital.
• The hospital and clinic medical staff and doctors offer first rate quality personal care and attention that will far exceed your expectations.
• Compared to what you will pay for the surgery locally, it is significantly less expensive to travel to India or Mexico
* The JCI is an international accrediting body for medical facilities that has been approved by the International Society for Quality in Health Care. It also works in conjunction with the World Health Organization on issues of patient safety.
Where in India or Mexico can I have a hip replacement performed?
• Both India and Mexico have some of the finest health care facilities in the world and they routinely Perform hip replacement and hip resurfacing procedures.
• Mexico's medical system and health care facilities are generally of a high standard compared to other Latin American countries. As of 1999, it is estimated that there are estimated 3 doctors per 1,000 people. The population has access to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation. The doctors there are skilled at hip replacement and hip resurfacing at a fraction of the cost of U.S. procedures.
• Thailand and Costa Rica are also known for excellence in orthopedic surgery. Doctors are skilled in the one to two hour procedure that cost a total of $10,000 USD-$12,000 for a seven day hospital stay and the surgery. The procedure is exactly the same as the procedure done in the U.S. but at a cost savings of 50 percent or more!
You may be thinking that this all sounds good, but what about arranging all of the details and medical travel to India or Mexico?
We’ll take care of all of the details. As we understand more about you and your situation, we will send you a custom plan or package about the doctors, hospitals, your procedure and cost. You'll be able to speak with your overseas doctors and staff that will be caring for you during your stay.
Everything will be arranged for you before you leave, including flights, passport, visa and hotel accommodation. You will be met at the airport by one of our English-speaking personal representatives. You will also be able to talk with us or ask any questions at any time you need to and we'll stay in touch throughout your procedure abroad and even after you return to your home.
If you are considering having a hip replacement or resurfacing surgery abroad in India, Mexico or any other accredited hospital destination, we will be happy to provide you with a free cost quote. All you need to do is click below.